Shaderlight

Automatic save time feature

ecoarcdesign@yahoo.com
Total Posts: 41

It would be nice to have an auto save feature to allow us to pick from a list of times, ie every hour or every 5 hours.  So while rendering it will automatically take a snapshot every so often.  It gets real frustrating when it takes 30 to 50 hours to render an image and it crashes when its 90 % done with nothing to show for it.  Maybe an auto save when finished would also be a good option?  Thanks, Matte

ecoarcdesign@yahoo.com
ecoarcdesign@yahoo.com - Jan 20, 2016 06:15am

It would be nice to have an auto save feature to allow us to pick from a list of times, ie every hour or every 5 hours.  So while rendering it will automatically take a snapshot every so often.  It gets real frustrating when it takes 30 to 50 hours to render an image and it crashes when its 90 % done with nothing to show for it.  Maybe an auto save when finished would also be a good option?  Thanks, Matte

EGIE
Total Posts: 506

Hi
I am dumbfounded(?) a bit about the incredibly long render times, which you describe here. It may take 30 to 50 hours to render an HD movie but not an image. Under these conditions, your request is justified. Maybe you can increase your computer equipment sometime…
Who wants to render an animation should always choose single frames as output - never avi, mp4 or mov. If then the computer or the software crashes, you lose only the last frame and you can restart the animation from this point again because all previous frames are already stored…

ecoarcdesign@yahoo.com

I found one of the main problems is I like to watch the render as it happens, when I switch to tile mode (Like I am suppose to) it doesn’t crash, and it drops down the image render time to 7-8 hours, (about an hour at my fast at work computer).  So the Auto save to have something to show for many hours of rendering time is not needed if I just stick to the tile mode.

EGIE
Total Posts: 506

... that sounds much better :-)

the “Tile Mode” has the great advantage that the calculated tile size is only as great as your existing hardware is able to manage - so a calculated tile on your “at work computer” is certainly bigger, than a tile on your private one. From and above 80% quality setting, the Tile Mode gets automatically enabled, but you know that for sure ...