Shaderlight

Shaderlight forgets my license ...

togo
Total Posts: 15

mostly on Friday evening and when there is a deadline.
This time I changed the hard disk, last time my keyboard was replaced, one time a system update, sometimes no reason at all -  but no other application is so bitchy - very annoying.
Please support, could you reset my license very quick, because of a deadline.
And is there a way to change this behavior of Shaderlight?
Thanks

togo

... another weekend without the being able to finish a work.

Could the reason for the forgetfulness be, that Shaderlight has only installed itself in Library/Application Support and not in Users/myname/Library/Application Support? (MacOs Sierra with 2 HD installed).
And could the reason be, that I am working with Shaderlight since Google SketchUp 7 - so for many years, so the activation has always been updated and stills refers to the original?

Besides working with SL on my own, I am also teaching this, but really must consider to switch now.

kfoojones
Total Posts: 286

Hello,

I’m sorry that your licence keeps getting reset. Shaderlight uses a third-party system to attempt to lock a licence to a specific machine and I don’t know the details of exactly what system components they use to identify unique machines. We are investigating ways we can make it more robust to common changes – it is always a balancing act between not inconveniencing legitimate users and helping to reduce accidental or deliberate abuse of the licence terms.

As far as I’m aware, the installation location shouldn’t have any effect on your licence, but hard disk changes and sometimes system updates do.

I have reset your licence so that you can activate it again.

Apologies for the inconvenience,
Shaderlight support

togo

thanks for the reset, it works again now.

I have 5 or 6 activation codes from the first version of SL until now throughout the years and they are all upgrades from previous versions. Could this be a reason then?
Should I maybe trash all ArtVPS Folders and SL Folders with files from earlier years I can find and download and install anew?

Thanks for help.

kfoojones

I suspect that changing your disk is what caused your licence to become invalidated this most recent time, rather than any problems with multiple installations. Each new version of Shaderlight will generally install over the top of the previous one but, even if it doesn’t, I don’t think that should cause any licensing problems.

If you need to re-licence your installation again in future, it might be worth trying the manual activation process. That uses a different mechanism for identifying your machine – the MAC address of one of its network interfaces. In some cases, that can be more stable than the machine id used by the automatic process, although it others it is less stable. Users with external network adaptors (e.g. Wi-Fi dongles or docking stations) may find that their machine ID changes every time they plug their network interface in or out, which is why the automatic activation uses a different ID.

Regards,
Shaderlight support

togo

Dear Support,

again my Pro Version License was deactivated. This time there was no disk change, no software update or anything else.

Please reactivate my license and be so kind to tell me, if there is a way to avoid this behavior of Shaderlight?

I understand that it always is a balance between security and comfort, but with this SL becomes useless for me and for my students.

Thanks

kfoojones

Hello,

I have reset your code to allow your licence to be activated again.

This time, instead of choosing the (default) ‘Automatic Activation’ option on the first page of the activation dialog, please choose ‘Manual Activation Via Website’ instead. This will prompt you to visit the activation website and give you the alternative machine ID that I mentioned above. Enter that machine ID along with your activation code on the linked website and the text of your activated licence will appear below the form. Then, copy and paste the licence text into the next page of the Activation dialog and click ‘Activate’.

I can’t promise that that will make your licence stay active, but there is a chance it will be more stable than the automatic activation.

Regards,
Shaderlight support

togo
kfoojones - Nov 23, 2017 10:00pm

... This time, instead of choosing the (default) ‘Automatic Activation’ option on the first page of the activation dialog, please choose ‘Manual Activation Via Website’ instead. Shaderlight support

Yes, this is exactly what I did before - without success. My machine ID btw. stays the same each time. I am making a screenshot from now on to prove that the machine always is the same. I e-mailed it to the support as well.

So now it works again, thanks. But I am afraid, this is not a solution that will last. I guess that there is some incompatibility that should be examined.
Thanks