Shaderlight

Industrial Workflow

EGIE
Total Posts: 504

Hi All !
some of you might know how much I pushed to improve HDR-Rotation by Numeric Input and thankfully this wish is already realized by the Shaderlight Team - I can’t thank enough for that!
I also know that many Shaderlight users didn’t understand this endlessly repeated desire and the urgent necessity behind it.

Since I was and still am surprised that no one else demanded that I would like to shed light on the reasons -  So why and good for what? :-)
I want to clarify, that every fixing and rigid setting option is not a loss of one’s own creativity (which mostly doesn´t get paid btw), but a gain of economy, freedom and speed, at least where too much creativity for the rendering task would be a pure waste. At the same time, I can use the in this way released resources where creativity, fun and tact are invested better.

Such a “small” feature is unimportant when I render something once, the render looks cool, the customer has a nice picture and everyone is happy - hmm, ok so far…
But if you are in a reproductive workflow, you have to make sure that you or whoever produces a render in exactly the same conditions one year later than another colleague did it a year before and at a completely different place. Like in an industrial production process, the output and look and feel must be the same!

So, in the context of Shaderlight, it is extremely important that the entire virtual studio setup is exactly defined! The slightest deviation is like a cathastriophe then! And especially, if the light setting is different!

So often it’s not about what my mood of the day is like - let me try lighter, oh no, but better darker, hmm, I just don’t like the shadows anymore but tomorrow maybe I will - NO!!!!  - here a good renderer has to work like a rigidly adjustable production machine, completely without any tastyness or individualistic attitude.

So I hope all this gives you a self-explanatory impression that Numerical HDR Input is one of the most important features that has been added to Shaderlight in the recent years, at least in the sense of a professional and reproductive workflow.

Any illustrated series of any industrial product line gets produced fully automated of course. Per product line there is one SkUp master file, which contains all components placed next to each other, always in exactly the same distance to each other. Now the always same camera setting (with the now finally always the same HDR light setup!!!) always jumps in the said distance from scene model to the next scene model, like moving on rails, automatically to create the respective renders.

Yes, Shaderlight does not have the ingenious production-oriented template-intelligence and product concept (I don’t want to compare apples with pears) like ArtLantis Render, for example, but with such “small” features it can finally take a step out of the singularly used toylike tool to a tool that is also suitable for mass production, even in an industrial sense.
Since Saderlight does not have a batch render tool, for serial production here Shaderlight´s animation tool was “abused” to render one single PNG frame per second per SkUp scene.

To give a last information which could be useful: if we put on scenes in SkUp - this applies to all projects and always !!! - we leave all render relevant scenes information in the scene name itself, about like this: >scene01_figxxxx_4800x2460_LonMor_rot178°_exp+0.8_PNG< Only with this SkUp file each user is able to reproduce a change or a supplement in a correct and needed way, an additional documentation is not necessary (in the example shown below, this scene information only has to be given once, all other scenes are created under this one setup as well). And by the way - at this point the simplicity of Shaderlight is a real blessing because these tasks can also be done by inexperienced and rendernonaffine users! Everything else takes place elsewhere and on other tools like Adobe Indesign etc.

Best, Egie

awaddington
Total Posts: 388

Hi EGIE,

Thanks for the explanation of why Shaderlight’s new HDR rotation tool is so valuable, and also for the detailed workflow example for “mass production”.

Cheers,
Andrew