Shaderlight

Shaderlight and SketchUp´s Photo-Match Tool = A good Connection

EGIE
Total Posts: 506

Hi All - here and there I’ve already mentioned it in this forum, but think it’s worth to remember it again ;-)
A typical workflow, at least for me, is to use SkUp´s Photo-Match Tool. The purpose is usually to produce a location- and view corrected rendering with alpha channel, which can then (e.g. in Photoshop) be copy-pasted back into the original photo.

If possible, I love this approach because:
A: I am mostly too lazy to build any environment
B: I would not get paid to model cars, forest or any other scenery around [no matter how much I would like to do that ;)]
C: I think it is often not that wrong to show a project in the real environment.

With a little routine this process is very simple and fast then, especially when the render output is already synchronized with your used original target photo within the renderer itself - any fumbling or scaling around is not necessary.
The image below shows a bit of this process using the so well running Shaderlight Render approach, where you just have to synchronize the render resolution numerically with the resolution of your target photo.

There’s one detail to keep in mind though: Disable shadows within SketchUp so that a shadow falling to the ground doen´t get rendered by Shaderlight. Then save the rendered image as PNG, as this format already provides a transparent channel.

Image Attachments
Match_Photo_Synch.jpg
Click thumbnail to see full-size image
awaddington
Total Posts: 390

Great Tip EGIE,

Thanks for sharing this. I often forget about the photomatch tool.

eserkoc
Total Posts: 1

there is nothing left about original picture, when the rendering is finished. what is that tool exactly for???? thanks

awaddington
Total Posts: 390

Primarily, the photo-match tool is designed to help you quickly model real objects for which you may not have access to a full set of dimensions. With only a couple of reference points and images, SU approximates the size/scale of the models based on your “tracings” of the image.

EGIE
Total Posts: 506

Hi All :-)
I just want to visualize briefly what I have described above - a simple view-synchronized visualization between the camera position of the real photo and the imitated synchronized SkUp-view, generated with SkUp´s Match Photo. This is a so very simple procedure and I use it almost weekly.
Beyond that, this so cool tool reveals so many other possibilities: maybe you would like to show someone how the new red sofa would look like in the real living room or you want to reconstruct a building with amazing accuracy, from which there are only photos, but no plans etc etc…
If you want to get an impression of the so many possibilities, it’s worth taking a look at the many contributions on YouTube or Vimeo for example.

Image Attachments
match_photo_workflow_1920.jpg
Click thumbnail to see full-size image