Shaderlight

Point Lights Not Glowing

kaschap2323
Total Posts: 12

Hi,

I have imported a ‘Visa’ light fixture into my Sketchup drawing of a room.

However, when I render, the light does not shine.

The lights are not inpacted in any way by another surface; they are visable in the image.

I have tried playing around with the light intensity and colour to no avail.

Please help!

Many thanks

shaun1993
Total Posts: 112

could you post an image of one of the renders, so i can see what you mean

kaschap2323

Here is the Sketchup image before rendering.

Thank you for your help.

Image Attachments
Spiral_Staircase_R.jpg
Click thumbnail to see full-size image
kaschap2323

The problem is that the point lights in the wall sconces do not light up when rendering and the entire light fixture looks dark.

shaun1993

Looking at you scene there are a few things wrong your skylight portal for the curved window is wrong it should look like the one ive attached, so it covers the whole window area. Also the skylight portal the other side of the window is facing the wrong way, and if I were you I would make another wall there. and then when rendering make sure you have shadows turned on in SU, and change the shadow settings to a time where it is dark. A good video that shows you this is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG1Pv0K6fUc&list=UUJ-7Z9hJrlCLwqPA3atcT4A&index=15

Also if you want to just have artificial lights lighting your scene select the artificial lights only in the lighting menu

Hope that helps

Shaun

Image Attachments
Screen_Shot_2013-02-22_at_07.38_.36_.png
kaschap2323

Thank you very much for the advice; I will implement everything you have recommended later this evening.

I just have a few more questions:

1) As my image does not have a roof, do I need a skylight portal over the top as well?

2) The light bulbs in the wall lights are not illuminating at all, does anyone know what I have done wrong here?

Thanks again!

shaun1993

1) i would put a roof, well not a roof just a shape to cover the top to stop light coming in

2) after you have implemented all my changes the lights should work. if not try using the artificial lights in the lighting menu (attached) and see if they light. If they still don’t I would recommend sending the sketch up file to support@artvps.com to see if it is a bug, or something wrong with your model (as it is difficult to pin point the problem without the sketch up file itself)

Image Attachments
Screen_Shot_2013-02-22_at_18.45_.16_.png
kaschap2323

Hi,

Thanks for all your help. I have followed the advice given an added the fourth wall and ceiling in order to ‘seal’ the image. I could only do this (and position the camera / screen to see inside the room) by extending the wall of the room outwards and the ceiling to a height which would be ridiculous in a real scenario.

This has worked for the purposes if this image but my question is: if I was creating a render of a real room to exact measurements, how would I be able to view the entire room? Is there a way of creating an invisable wall or ceiling (that does not act as a window thus distorting the light)in order to render while viewing the entire room?

Many thanks.

Image Attachments
Night_Interior_Render.jpg
shaun1993

this is a common question that comes up and its a very easy fix, with just using sketch up. as the human eye can see almost a 180 degree field of view, in sketch-up you can use the field of view tool (see attached imaged on how to change this, i did a high field of view to exaggerate how it works) to allow you to see more of the room. The higher the field of view the more you can see.

Incase its not clear on the images you click the zoom tool (magnify glass) then change the value in the bottom right to something higher.

Hope that helps,

Shaun

Image Attachments
Screen_Shot_2013-02-25_at_20.32_.38_.pngScreen_Shot_2013-02-25_at_20.33_.05_.png
kaschap2323

Thank you!

That has just made my life so much easier :)

shaun1993

No problem smile

Shaun