Shaderlight

2D Face Me Trees and Plants

NRE@DBS
Total Posts: 2

Team,

Im having issues while rendering both large and small 2D Face Me plants. Some render just fine and others are slightly turned at odd angles, or even completely flat. I’ve taken my CAD base and edited the plant blocks creating a new component that is still rooted directly in the CAD drawing itself. Basically, i’ve opened the CAD component, directly edited a single plant block to include the image that will apply to all instances of the same block. The images come in fine and look great in SketchUp, but when I try to render, thats when the issues happen.

If anyone could tell me a better way/workflow that will eliminate this issue, that would be extremely helpful.

I’ve attached images for reference.

Thanks so much!!!

Image Attachments
Aerial1-ARTVPS.jpgAerial1-SKP.jpg
Click thumbnail to see full-size image
shaun1993
Total Posts: 112

2D face me components always have a habit of rotating around, if these 2d trees are used for quicker renders I would either place these in after the render in a program like photoshop or like you have done there put them in sketchup and try to tweak the angles of the component.

However shaderlight has its own library of 3d (photo realistic) trees that can be imported from the 3d warehouse by searching shaderlight > then selecting collections instead of models. The trees in SU are 2d face me components, however when rendered it changes to a 3d realistic tree that casts shadows. However be warned it does increase the render time by ALOT! But I don’t know your timescale. (for an example the image I’ve attached of the rendered tree took about 5-7mins to render at maximum quality on an iMac at 1280x720 image resolution)

So as a summary for a better looking (however slower) renders/images use shaderlights trees, for a speedier render use 2d trees, either used like you have in sketchup or added to the image after in photoshop or a similar software package.

Hope that helps

Shaun

Image Attachments
Screen_Shot_2013-04-22_at_21.13_.40_.pngScreen_Shot_2013-04-22_at_21.16_.46_.pngtree.jpg
Click thumbnail to see full-size image
NRE@DBS
Total Posts: 2

Thanks for the assistance!

I completely understand the workflow you’ve described. However, in most instances, I’ll use one model for multiple perspectives (landscape specific) and simply adjust my view frame to whichever view I’d like.

If your suggesting I ‘tweak’ each and every plant that does not align to my view, I think this is a very time-consuming method. Ideally, I place the trees, or any other plant material where it exists on site, change my scene, and render.

There has got to be a fool-proof way!

shaun1993
Total Posts: 112

well a way to get around this would be to use shaderlights 3d trees however this does increase render times.

The only other way to do it would be to put the trees and the rest of model into 2 different layers then hide the trees while rendering, then hide the model and unhide the trees and export it as an image from sketch up (with a white background) and combine the 2 in photoshop