Shaderlight

Broken Cart on a Washed Out Dirt Road

awaddington
Total Posts: 373

I created this model to explore two topics:

1) Using Sketchup’s sandbox “from contours” tool to model 3D ground.  The water is a single plane intersecting the model where puddles and ruts dip below the “water level”.

2) Creating custom bump maps for the water surface rain ripples using GIMP.  When I have more time I will post a tutorial on creating and using custom water materials as bmp files in sketchup.

The wet ground is Sketchup’s asphalt material.  I adjusted the colour, increased the bump and set the Shaderlight setting to “Glossy -> Dull 3”.

The foliage, rocks and cart are modified from 3dWarehouse models.

The lighting is Moofe: Cloudy Volcano, Iceland - Auto exposure +0

The first image is all Shaderlight.  I tried to introduce atmospheric rain drops (falling rain) using vertical, transparent png images of falling rain, setting several of these image plains perpendicular to the camera and spaced out toward the back of the scene (to mimic rain falling throughout the model) but the images did not render (or at least they were not prominent if they did…I couldn’t see them).  Something to play around with I guess.

As I couldn’t get the “rain” to work in Shaderlight alone, I Added some rain using a rain brush in GIMP after rendering (second image).

Cheers,

Andrew

Image Attachments
dirt_road(S8).jpgdirt_road(S8-GIMPRain).jpgDirt_Road-model.jpg
Click thumbnail to see full-size image
EGIE
Total Posts: 487

Hey, that’s great !!!
A great scenery - a great “finger exercise” (does this term also exist in English?)
In particular, the quality (everything is good here!) of the water drops in the puddle - the rings - is amazing.
I can almost feel and hear the heavy rain!
I have often mentioned that I do not manage to get good results with the bump-settings - I do not know why.
So I am pleased to see your work and I look forward even more to your “making of”.
By the way, your work is a good example for a reasonable workflow. I did not even know that GIMP has a rain brush.
But I am sure that this result is much better and easier and faster than any attempt to make that in Shaderlight.
(but I’ll try that PNG-variant within Shaderlight)

Regards and thanks for sharing that