Shaderlight

Dance Studio (WIP)

awaddington
Total Posts: 373

This dance studio is a work in progress.

It started as an experiment with modeling appropriate light levels with ies lights.  Then it got a little carried away - why have default walls and floors when you can have textures?  Why paint and not a mirror? What kind of room has a mirror wall?  Dance studio?  Sure why not?  Won’t the dancers get hot?  There should be air conditioning.  Shouldn’t a public space this size have a fire safety sprinkler system? ... and so on.  So much for a simple exercise!

Valuable lessons learned here:

- You need more light fixtures than you think. I modeled a florescent light fixture from General Electric (“GE” a light manufacturer) GE has IES data for most of their models including this one which I used for the light source.  GE also offers a tool for calculating the number and spacing of lights to provide appropriate light levels.  Those light levels are general standard for lighting design, which I found a few sources for online.

- You can avoid checker boarding of your floor materials by creating randomly wide “strips” running the length of the floor.  For each strip rotate and/or move the texture material.

I will create a separate post about the lighting and the lighting references.  I also hope to create a collection of GE IES light fixtures on the 3DWarehouse soon.

Cheers,

Andrew

(P.S. I’ve caught myself a few times clicking regular photographs with the scroll wheel in an attempt to rotate the view.  I think I have some sort of neurosis caused by Sketchup ;)

Image Attachments
Dance_Studio.jpg
Click thumbnail to see full-size image
awaddington
Total Posts: 373

Here’s another angle.

I’ve posted three images

1) the straight render
2) a chalk render (I used a shadow range of 15)
3) the final image that uses the chalk render to mimic ambient occlusion.

The intersections of faces in the final image are very subtly enhanced by the ao.  To really see the difference you may need to download both image one and the final image and toggle back and forth between them.

To achieve this in GIMP, open the rendering and the chalk rendering as layers with the chalk layer on top.  Change the chalk layer’s mode to “multiply”...done.

Image Attachments
studio2.jpgchalk15.jpgstudio2-with_ambient_occlusion.jpg
Click thumbnail to see full-size image
EGIE
Total Posts: 492

:))  great renders !!! and your “domino theory”-story above is wonderfull and funny!
somewhere I know that…

yes, the chalkrender feature is one of the things I love most in Shaderlight !!
http://www.artvps.com/index.php/discuss/viewthread/665/