Shaderlight

A small Glass Series

EGIE
Total Posts: 492

Hi Everyone
Sometimes a small geometry exercise develops a life of it´s own. I suppose you all know that?

I wanted to model that simple geometry of a glass, which almost everyone has in his glass cabinet
as I guess - below octagonal and round above. That alone took me at least ten attempts.
After it was finally done, I somehow had to make an immediate test rendering of course! And because
an empty glass is boring, I considered, with which I can fill in this empty glass, and so on ...

Thus, my guessed small exercise developed up to a mammoth undertaking :)
But after the results seem, however reasonable, I decided to show them here.

Especially on two of them I would like to point with a few “making of” infos.

The “Latte Macchiato” version was the easiest thing. Because I was too lazy to model the
milk foam, I put a 2D image into the glass. The rendering became fantastic “out of the box”,
at least for my desired view of course.

The “M & M’s” version was a bit more difficult. Again I was too lazy to put every single
M & M into the glass. So I decided to use SketchyPhysics. The 252 pieces of chocolate brought
my computer almost to a crash but after a few attempts and a lot of patience, it finally worked.
For getting the pieces of chocolate into the glass properly, I had to remodel the inner shape of the
glass with SkPhy solids. In there I let fall the M & Ms.

if anyone is interested or may need it
https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=ufe71e3be-f5d2-472b-aea0-beaebec0c100

Image Attachments
GlasSerie_01_1920.jpg001_making_of.jpg004_making_of.jpg
Click thumbnail to see full-size image
awaddington
Total Posts: 373

Thanks EGIE - these are great!

I really like the M&Ms; in the glass.  I played with sketchy physics a few years ago, I didn’t realize you could render the end result.  That makes for a very useful tool.

The 2D solution for the macchiato is an interesting lighter-weight shortcut if you are always viewing the glass from the side and the light isn’t from the side (which might cast a “skinny” shadow).  But a very different appearance than the coke glass where you modeled the liquid.

I always like your use of the artificial “windows” for the lighting to provide the reflections on the glass.

(BTW - I hope the “small” in “small glass series” refers to size of the series and not the size of the glass.  The glasses in your model are over 600 cm tall !! :-) )

duanekemp
Total Posts: 14

Horn, you rock now… but, you rocked then too.
Good job.

awaddington
Total Posts: 373
duanekemp - Jun 07, 2019 10:10pm

Horn, you rock now… but, you rocked then too.
Good job.

Agreed

EGIE
Total Posts: 492

...so old and still a resonance - thank you so much :-)